About the Post

Author Information

Jennifer is Co-host of The Story of Liberty Radio Broadcast, video editor and creator, blogger & Web designer for the Story of Liberty. TheStoryofLiberty.net

NYC Bans Food Donations To The Homeless!

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s food police have struck again!

Has The Mayor Totally Eaten Away At The Public’s Desire To Do Good?

CBS NEW York reported: Outlawed are food donations to homeless shelters because the city can’t assess their salt, fat and fiber content, reports CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer.

Glenn Richter arrived at a West Side synagogue on Monday to collect surplus bagels — fresh nutritious bagels — to donate to the poor. However, under a new edict from Bloomberg’s food police he can no longer donate the food to city homeless shelters.

It’s the “no bagels for you” edict.

“I can’t give you something that’s a supplement to the food you already have? Sorry that’s wrong,” Richter said.

Richter has been collecting food from places like the Ohav Zedek synagogue and bringing it to homeless shelters for more than 20 years, but recently his donation, including a “cholent” or carrot stew, was turned away because the Bloomberg administration wants to monitor the salt, fat and fiber eaten by the homeless.

Richter said he was stunned. He said his family has eaten the same food forever and flourished.

Read the article here: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/19/bloomberg-strikes-again-nyc-bans-food-donations-to-the-homeless/

Related:

Matthew 25:35

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,

Isaiah 58:10

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday.

Proverbs 28:27

Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many a curse.

Luke 3:11

And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.”

Matthew 14:15-21

Now when it was evening, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a desolate place, and the day is now over; send the crowds away to go into the villages and buy food for themselves.” But Jesus said, “They need not go away; you give them something to eat.” They said to him, “We have only five loaves here and two fish.” And he said, “Bring them here to me.” Then he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass, and taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven and said a blessing. Then he broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. …

James 2:14-18

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

Advertisements

11 Comments on “NYC Bans Food Donations To The Homeless!”

1. Mike Bito November 8, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

Mayor Bloomburg – What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul. Think about that ?

2. Shadow Rider November 8, 2012 at 10:18 pm #

This is totally unacceptable!!!!! Where is the sense in this???? First they turned away people that were there to help restore power….now turn away food because they can’t control it!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like Dictatorship to me!!!! Government needs to back off!!!

3. Belinda Hill November 8, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

This is way over the top. Seriously, These people have gone through enough. And to have awesome people reaching out to give food to them and you want to play food God? Come on, balance your mind set there pal. Another way Government steps in way over their boundaries and hurts the people. Balance, get your balance here. Thank you all who step up to give to the needy. Your a blessing!

• Brenda Marshall November 9, 2012 at 1:21 am #

I totally agree with u these people need food so what is the myor going to go out and buy them food so it is just right does this man have any idea that everyday people have to eat foods that he woul dnot have on his table~~maybe he needs to leave office S Mayor and ork on being a nutritionist somewhere anyhere but NY~~My heart hurts for the people in NY

4. ralph land November 8, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

welcome to the world of big brother and rampant government control.

5. Sarah Fry November 8, 2012 at 11:39 pm #

This is so wrong! All these people that vote for the Government to take care of them should take heed. They will starve to death unless the Government approves of what you eat. The homeless should be able to decide whether they would like to eat this type of food or not. Who died and left Bloomburg boss of everyone? He is an elected official who is supposed to be protecting people’s rights and his job does not include taking them away. These mental midgets are overstepping their bounds and it is about time we all stick together and let them know. I guess we can’t have any obese homeless people walking the streets can we now? It might look bad. What looks bad is that these people are homeless to begin with. Instead of taking their salt shakers why doesn’t he help these people find a place to live and suitable employment. That would make more sense.

6. gayle November 8, 2012 at 11:55 pm #

what is he on, cause no one in their right mind would turn away food to hungry ppl. government is already taking control of our lives. we need to turn back to God so he will heal our country.

7. Kim November 9, 2012 at 4:35 am #

Why is this incompetent man still in this office or any for that matter. What is wrong with him? Those people there need any and all kinds of help that can be given. Some how, he needs to go home and retire.

8. Eldonna Bryant November 9, 2012 at 7:18 am #

NYC will have the healthiest starving people in the Union!! Stupid elitest! He needs to either buy the right food for them with his millions or shut up and let these people eat!

9. Terri Miller November 10, 2012 at 4:23 am #

Are the people running the city out of their minds? They are saying they can’t assess the salt in a bagel? Well who is assessing what the homeless will be pulling out of dumpsters when they can’t get bagels……….has any of our brilliant leaders thought of THAT?

10. レイバンサングラス April 3, 2013 at 4:18 am #

I blog frequently and I really thank you for your content.
    This article has truly peaked my interest. I am going to bookmark your blog and keep
    checking for new details about once per week. I opted in for your Feed too.