Democratic Party Office in Florida Flies Defaced American Flag With Obama’s Face Replacing the Stars. (Maybe we can call this the 57th Star Flag.)
Veteran Jim Bradford, who first took notice of what he calls a “disgrace,” did some research and found that it was in violation of the flag code passed by Congress. The law states, “The flag should never have placed upon it or any part of it, any marks, insignia, letters, words, figures, designs, picture or drawings of any nature.”
Actions that may be treated as flag desecration include:
- Burning it
- Defacing it with slogans
- Daubing it with excrement, etc.
- Walking on it
- Spitting on it
- Stoning it
- Shooting it with guns
- Hurling insults at it
- Cutting or ripping it
- Dragging it through the dirt
- Using it unconventionally, e.g.:
- Hanging it upside down or reversed. In some countries, however, this is also conventional protocol to indicate an emergency or problem.
- Making toilet paper, napkins, doormats, and other such items bearing the image of the flag, so that the flag’s image will be destroyed or soiled in the course of everyday activities.