- the Stop Online Privacy Act (SOPA) in the house
- the Protect IP Act (PIPA) in the Senate.
They say the bills are “efforts to stop online piracy or to protect consumers from so-called rogue foreign pharmacies.”
Google CEO Eric Schmidt said the bill would break the Internet.
Congress Still Trying To Kill The Internet: http://www.personalliberty.com/conservative-politics/government/congress-still-trying-to-kill-the-internet/?eiid=
- SOPA, Stop Online Piracy Act: Hollywood Battles Internet Companies To Protect Itself From Piracy (VIDEO): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/06/sopa-stop-online-piracy-act_n_1132279.html
Murdoch Fights For Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA)
- Legal expert says online piracy bill is unconstitutional:
Laurence Tribe, a constitutional law expert at Harvard Law School, argues the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) violates the First Amendment in a memo sent to members of Congress on Thursday.
The bill would empower the Justice Department and copyright holders to demand that search engines, Internet providers and payment processors cut ties with websites “dedicated” to copyright infringement.
Tribe argues the bill amounts to illegal “prior restraint” because it would suppress speech without a judicial hearing.
- Internet on Trial: A New Stop Online Piracy Acthttp://blog.experts-exchange.com/ee-tech-news/internet-on-trial-a-new-stop-online-piracy-act/
- Google chairman says online piracy bill would ‘criminalize’ the Internet: http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/198777-google-chairman-says-online-piracy-bill-would-criminalize-linking
Jay Rockefeller: Internet should have never existed
- “When the Chinese told Google that they had to block sites or they couldn’t do [business] in their country, they managed to figure out how to block sites.” He also likened Google to the getaway car driver in a bank robbery.: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118047080